Casa de Mateus, Vila Real

Specialities and Highlights

The Casa de Mateus was built during the first half of the eighteenth century by António José Botelho Mourão (1688-1746), 3rd Morgado of Mateus. The chapel was completed by his son, D. Luís António de Sousa Botelho Mourão (1722-1798).

The architectural design of the house, ex-libris of Portuguese Baroque, is attributed to the great Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni. The design harmonizes the traditionally comfortable dimensions of the Portuguese noble house with the baroque exuberance displayed in the main facade and decorative motifs of the chapel, designed by Master José Álvares do Rego.

Hours Open

June to September: Open 9:00 – 19.30 hrs. (9:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.)

October, March, April and May: Open 9:00 – 13:00 hrs. (9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.) and 14:00 to 18:00 hrs. (2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.)

November to February: Open 10:00 – 13:00 hrs. (10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.) and 14:00 – 17:00 hrs. (2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)

Seasons Open

Year-round

Admission Fee (if any)

House and Gardens: € 9.00 ($11.63)

Gardens Only: € 6.00 ($7.75)

For More Information, Contact:

Casa de Mateus Fundação
Fundação da Casa de Mateus, Mateus – Vila Real, 17 5000
+351 259 323 121 · fax +351 259 326 553