The Chapel of San Pedro de Balsemão, National Monument, is one of the rare examples of religious architecture altimedieval currently conserved in Portuguese territory. Temple is a small but immensely valuable architectural and archaeological heritage to explore and that fascinates even those who are not very fond of these areas.
It is situated about 3 Kms from the district of Bridge - Lamego, built during the time of the Visigothic King Sisebut who came to mint coins in Lamego - VII century (there are those who point the date of 572 but could not produce evidence) according to some historians, the chapel is the oldest in Portugal and the second of the Iberian peninsula. Over the centuries the chapel has undergone several changes with redevelopment and that changed their primitive garb.
In the main input current and above this, three shells are flanked by one and below this a Roman above, also embedded in the wall which consists:
"I. CLAUDIO CAESARE GERMA. Ponti. MAX. TRIBU. Potest. IRT N. P. E. CONS. TER. MAX. AUG. "
(It was a memory of the German Emperor Claudius, consul for the third time)
Its interior has three naves with the chancel, and the central and highest being separated from others by each of three arches, supported by columns with Corinthian capitals.
The main chapel where the statue of Saint Peter is rectangular, those separated by a triumphal arch in the shape of a horseshoe.
One of the notable pieces that Temple presents, is in the nave: The tomb of Bishop Afonso Pires (fourteenth century), which has carved on one side the supper of Christ and the other the Crucifixion of Christ also. In one of the tops is carved the coronation of Our Lady. D. Afonso Pires was born in Lamego and was Bishop of Porto between 1358 and 1372. He died in the Ruler.
In one side of the triumphal arch of access to the chancel, is a stone that is easily differentiated from the other with the following inscription:
"Hic domus jacet Alfon
So episcopus Portugalensis Thurs fecit
Et conservauit ecclesiam istam et
Visitavit sepulcrum Domini
Et basilicas Apostolorum
Petri et Pauli et de
Cezit was in MCCCC "
"Here lies D. Alfonso, Bishop of Porto, who made and kept this church and visited the tomb of the Lord, and the basilicas of S. Peter and Paul. He died in 1400 was. "
Another remarkable piece is the altar of one of the aisles (north entrance): Our Lady of O (sculpture commissioned by Alfonso stone ANCA which shows Madonna in her pregnancy, from the fourteenth century).
In another ship (south entrance), is placed on the altar Christ on the cross. (See photos below the slide)
The floor is largely occupied by shallow graves. In open spaces can be observed bands sing forming rectangles filled by a paved with river stones rolled in white and blue that make up geometric designs. The ceiling of the nave and chancel is shaped wooden coffered painted.
Winter Period 9.30 and 30m to 12h and 14h to 17h30.
Summer Time: 10am to 12h 30m and 14h to 18h.
Is closed all day on Mondays, Tuesday morning, the 3rd week-end of each month and on holidays.