The Shrine of Our Lady of Remedies has the city of Lamego at his feet at a distance of 686 steps.
From the top of Mount St. Stephen, the church of eighteenth-century mark and staircase leading to it, due to its imposing monumentality, are one of the landmarks and landscapes of Lamego Portugal.
The popular devotion at the site dates back to 1361, when it was erected a chapel dedicated to St. Stephen No, however, years later (1568) and threatening ruin was demolished at the behest of the bishop of Lamego D. Manuel de Noronha, sending up another under the invocation of Our Lady of Remedies and home to a precious image brought especially Rome. This chapel was finally demolished also due to the large turnout of the faithful, which justified the construction of the current Temple, at the behest of the Rev. Canon José Pinto Teixeira, whose first stone was laid in 1750, only being completed in full in 1905.Esta work, one of the most beautiful of all Baroque style is crafted in granite, said in its construction with the mastery of Nasoni and several Portuguese architects from different eras. The two towers are designed by architect Augusto de Matos Cid and began years later. The south side was begun in 1880, coming from the north side of the tower to be completed only in 1905.
Inside the Shrine of Remedies, the high altar surprised by the richness of gold leaf, which shines in the center of the image of the patron saint, flanked by carved wooden images of S. Joseph and S. Jerome and is still present below a paragraph from St. Estêvão.De note also the side altars dedicated to the parents of the Virgin, S. Joachim and St. Anne, telling her side with other images, including St. Rita of Cascia, S. Francisco de Paula, S. John, St. Euphemia th and S. Torcato.
Still, inside the temple, may wonder beautiful tile panels depicting scenes from the life of the virgin as well as interesting stained glass windows that enrich the walls of the main body and the chancel, with images of Our Lady of Conception, the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Annunciation. There is also a wonderful pipe organ and a magnificent silver tabernacle.
In the sacristy there are two more images of Our Lady of Remedies (among others), which is present in the picture, one that is present in the processions, notably their feast day, September 8.
Summer: 8:30 to 12:30 / 13:30 to 19:00
Winter :8:30-12 30 / 13:30 to 18:00